Home arrow Isztria Index arrow Isztria arrow Novigrad 



Although the name ’Novigrad’ means ’new town’ in Croatian, Novigrad (www.novigrad.hr) is pretty old: it could have been found on Roman maps as Emona. The name of the town first appeared as Neopolis or Civitas Nova in 7th-century manuscripts: Novigrad is the Croatian translation of these Latin names.

At first the town was situated on an island and was connected to the main land only in the 18th century. The medieval Novigrad was a significant settlement. It was surrounded by a wall that is preserved in a quite good condition until today. Also, from the 6th century until 1831 the town was an episcopal seat

Novigrad awaits visitors with a range of cultural programmes. The Novigrad Music Nights are organised in July, the Festivities of the patron saint, St. Pelagius (Fešta Sv. Pelagija), is celebrated on the last days of August. During this festival sport tournaments, competitions and various music programmes are held.

Getting here & around

By car

Zagreb (A1) – Rijeka (A7, A8) – Učka tunnel (30 Kn tunnel fee). From here drive on the so-called Y motorway and turn to the north at Kanfanar (A8, A9).

Motorway tolls: Zagreb – Rijeka        70 Kn

                      Rijeka – Nova vas     61 Kn


Parking: 1st zone 8 Kn/hour (max. 1 hour), 2nd zone 5 Kn/hour, 20 kn/day

By bus

Poreč – Novigrad (9 buses daily)    23-31 Kn

Pula – Novigrad  (2 buses daily)      72 Kn

Rovinj – Novigrad (3 buses daily)     58 Kn

Rijeka – Novigrad (3 buses daily)  85-116 Kn

Tourist information

The tourist office is located near to the port, right beside a medieval bastion (Srednjovjekovna kula).

Porporella 1.
Tel / fax: +385 52 757 075, 758 011

e-mail: info@novigrad-cittanova.hr


St. Pelagius’ and St. Maximus’ church


Veliki trg

The three nave church dedicated to St. Mary, St. Pelagius and St. Maximus boasts a long history. In the 6th century when the bishopry was founded in Novigrad, an early Christian basilica stood here. The proofs of this are those window frames that were discovered on the northern wall in 1972. During the centuries the church and its bell tower was damaged several times. The latter was replaced by a free-standing campanile in 1874. On its top the statue of the patron saint of Novigrad, St. Pelagius can be seen.
The treasure of the church is the Romanesque crypt under the sanctuary. The crypt has three naves with cross vaults. In the middle, on the confessio (chamber with holy tomb) an inscription can be read with the name of Bishop Adamfrom from 1146. Other liturgical remains found in the crypt are now on display in the Novigrad Lapidarium Museum. In the park around the church an early Christian sarchopagus can be seen.

Gothic and baroque palaces

Old town

The old town is packed with old houses decorated with Gothic and late baroque ornaments. One of the most beautiful ones is the Rigo palace (Veliki ulica) from 1790, the home of the late Rigo family. The red building of the Town Hall (Municipio) with the clock tower is located on the main square (Veliki trg 1.) At Ribarnička street 3. a late Baroque portal is worth seeing. On the front of the house of Trg Pozetto 7. a late Gothic Biforium (double-arched window) was discovered, which presumably is the remains of a medieval church.

The Belveder (Ulica Belvedere) the only town loggia in Istria that overlooks the sea. It was built on the town wall in the 16th century. On the west from Belvedere a vaulted passage ’Porta a marina’ leads to the sea.

Estate of the Counts Rigo

The residence of the noble Rigo family can be found in Karpinjan, 1 km north-west of Novigrad. The late baroque palace built in 1750 is a typical example for Istrian country mansions. The Rigo family played an important role in the cultural life of the town and held the most important public offices of Novigrad.


Discover Istria!


Click for Novigrad, Horvátország Forecast

Search Hotels in Croatia

Check-in date


Check-out date

Click for Novigrad, Horvátország Forecast