Rab is one of the greenest islands in the Adriatic Sea due to its several springs. The northern part of the island is occupied by the Rapost mountain (the highest summit is Kamenjak - 408 m), the southern part is flatter. The island's typical plants are the pine trees, the rosemary and the lavendel.

The centre of the island is Rab town lying in St. Eufemija inlet. Barbat, Banjol and Lopar are smaller resorts. The name 'Rab' comes from the Liburnian 'Arba' word. The Romans put the adjective 'Felix' ('happy') in front of the Liburnian name referring to the significance of the port which was granted a munitipium status by Emperor Augustus in the 1st century BC. The Roman fleet appeared frequently in the port of the town which was well-protected by walls and towers.

During the 5th and the 6th centuries Rab was also the seat of the diocese. The town's strategic location predestined the undesirable interest of the Hungarian-Croatian kings and the Republic of Venice. Still, the latter ruled it until the end of the 19th century. During World War II a concentration camp was established close to Kampor where mostly Slovenian prisoners were held.
The old town of Rab is packed with monuments.

Getting here & around

By car

Zagreb (A1) – Bosiljevo junction (A1) - exit Žuta lokva (road 23) - through Vratnik pass  - Senj (road 8) - Jablanac, ferry slip.
Motorway tolls: Zagreb – Žuta Lokva     57 Kn

Stinica - Mišnjak (Rab) (once in every hour) Ferry rates

The detailed timetable can be found on www.rapska-plovidba.hr.

In Rab town all streets lead to the port (Gradska Luka).

The old town is situated on a peninsula. It consists of three parallel streets (Donja, Srednja és Gornja ulica) which are connected by narrow stairs. The beach can be reached through the Komrčar park from the old town.

By boat

Rijeka - Rab (only passenger boat, operates once a day)

Rab is also connected with Pag island (Lun / Jakišnica ports) by boat (www.rapska-plovidba.hr).

By bus

Rijeka - Rab                      135 Kn

Lopar - Rab (10 buses daily) 27 Kn

By plane

From the airport of Rijeka (located on Krk island) shuttle buses run to Rab. Check its timetable on www.imperial.hr. The single ticket costs 28, the return ticket is 50 Eur.

Tourist information

The tourist office is located at the corner of Trg Municipium Arba.
Tel: +385 51 771 111

internet: www.tzg-rab.hr

e-mail: tzg-raba@ri.t-com.hr

Working hours: daily 8.00 - 21.00

Crossbow tournament
The Crossbowmen games look back on a long tradition and have been brought back to life again in 1995. They take place on Sv. Kristofor square four times a year (on 9th May, 25th June, 27th July and 15th August). The tournament is opened by the 'Prince of Rab' with the town's flag hoisted on the mast and the sounds of fanfares. The best crossbowman whose arrow hits the point nearest to the centre of the target is awarded the prize "Felix".


Cathedral of the Assumption of Virgin Mary

Ivana Rabljanina

The cathedral was built in Roman style in the 12th century on the site of a former 5th-century church. It was expanded and restored three centuries later so its inner part is a mixture of various architectural styles. The ciborium above the main altar has a Renaissance character. The valuable reliquary of the town's patron saint, St. Christopher is kept in the church.

The 26 m high campanile was constructed for two centuries. You can climb up here to enjoy the great view of the town (open: 10.30 - 12.30 and 19.30 - 22.00).

The neighbouring St. Andrew's closter dates back to the beginning of the 11th century. The three nave church was reconstructed in the 15th century and rebuilt in baroque style one century later. Under the baroque surface Roman details are hidden. The bell-tower is the oldest tower in Rab.

The Rector’s Palace

Trg Municipium Arba

The most beautiful detail of this beautiful 13th-century Gothic and Renaissance building is the balcony supported by lion heads.

From the Rector's Palace walk through the gate of the Clock Tower (Grad Toranj) to get to the Renaissance Town Loggia (built in 1509). The most important events in the town's public life took place on this square. At the corner the Chapel of St. Nicholas can be found.

Dominis-Nimira Palace

The Gothic-Renaissance house beside the Bobotine stairs is the birthplace of Rab's most  prominent figure, Marko Antonio de Dominis. The bishop of Senj, later the archbishop of Split studied in Italy. His endeavours to reform the Church soon brought him into conflict with the papal court. Threatened by the Inquisition he left for England where he published several works criticising the papacy. At the end of his life he recanted all he had previously stated about the Church and returned to Rome where lived on a pension assigned him the new pope, Gregory XV. However, following the pope's death de Dominis was declared a heretic and was imprisoned to the Castel Sant'Angelo. He died there in 1624.

Church of St. John the Evangelist

Gornja ulica

This Romanesque basilica dates back to the 11th century. The 20 m high bell tower was erected at this time, as well. The neighbouring closter was built by the Benedictian order but belonged to the Franciscans from the 13th century. The basilica was destroyed in the 19th century, only a few details (mosaics, column) and the bell tower survived until today.

The Church of Holy Weeping Cross is situated next to the Church of St. John the Evangelist. It was built in the 13th century. In the summer concerts take place within its walls.

St. Justine's church

Trg Slobode

The church together with the Benedictian monastery was built between 1573 and 1578. The painting of the death of St. Joseph above the southern altar belongs to the 16th-century Tiziano's school. The skull of St. Christopher is also kept here. The crown on the skull refers to the respect paid to the patron saint of Rab.

A small museum devoted to religious art is set in the next building. It is open between 10.30 - 12.30 and 20.00 - 22.00 (from 15 June to 15 September).

St. Anthony monastery

Poljanica kneginje Mande Budrišić

The monastery is located at the very end of the promontory, in the most ancient part of the town called Kaldanac. It was founded in 1499. In its church a 17th-century painting can be seen with the view of the town. In front of the monastery, in a small park, the sculpture of the founder of the Republic of San Marino, St. Marin Rabljanin stands.

Nimira Palace

Donja ulica

The 16th-century building known as 'small' Nimira Palace is situated at the end of the Donja ulica. Above the Gothic portal the Nimira family's coat of arms can be seen. The wall with the balustrade is still in a good physical condition.

Park Komrčar

The establishment of this park is linked with the name of Pravdoje Belija. He planted this area with trees that was previously used as a pasture. His bust was unveiled in the 1970s. In the park the ruins of a 15th-century Franciscan monastery were discovered.


Discover the Croatian islands!


Click for Rab, Croatia Forecast

Search Hotels in Croatia

Check-in date


Check-out date


Discover the Croatian islands!

Click for Rab, Croatia Forecast