Located 27 km from Split, Trogir is one of the most ancient towns by the Mediterranean Sea. It was founded by the Greek in the 3rd century BC and was called Tragurion. In the 1st century AC Tragurion was already an important port of the Roman Empire and later, in the Middle Ages belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary. When the Mongols invaded Hungary in 1241-42, the Hungarian king, Bela IV. fled here. Trogir was conquered by the Republic of Venice several times and though the Hungarian kings managed to reconquer it again and again, from 1420 until the 18th century the town remained under Venetian rule.

Today Trogir is a popular tourist destination. Its old town is situated on an islet and surrounded by town walls which were built between the 13-15th century. When exploring the narrow passages you bump into Renaissance and Romanesque monuments at every step. 

Getting here & around

By car

Zagreb (A1) – Bosiljevo junction (A1) - exit Prgomet (road 58) - Trogir.

Motorway tolls: Zagreb – Prgomet     162 Kn

The old town of Trogir is located on an islet that is connected by bridges with the mainland. If you drive along the old town, you get to another bridge that leads to the island of Čiovo. Finding a parking place is the easiest here. On Čiovo there is a big selection of apartments and campings.

By bus

The bus stop is next to the market, in the neighbourhood of the old town. The local bus No37 leaves for Split in every 20 minutes and stops at Split airport, too. (You need to walk 3 minutes to the terminal.)  Its final stop in Split is in the bus station at Domovinskov vrata. Other bus companies also operate buses to Split, their terminus is at Split main bus station newt to the port.

Trogir - Split  16 - 21 Kn

By air

The airport of Split is situated only three kilometres from Trogir. The domestic flights connect this part of Dalmatia with Zagreb and Dubrovnik, other airlines such as Germanwings or Easyjet fly to the bigger European cities.

Tourist information

The tourist board can be found in the building of the town hall.

Trg Ivana Pavla II.
Tel: +385 (0)21 881 412

internet: www.tztrogir.hr

e-mail: tzg-trogira@st.htnet.hr
Working hours: Mon–Sat 8.00–19.00, Sun 8.00–13.00

Town Museum

Gradska vrata 4.
Opening times: Jul, Aug daily, 9.00–13.00 and 16.30-21.30

                      Jun, Sep daily, 9.00-12.00 and 17.00-20.00

                      Oct-May Mon-Sat 9.00-14.00

Admission charge: 15 Kn (children 10 Kn)

The Garagnin-Fanfogna palace houses the town museum. The collection consists of the family’s library, sculptures and paintings. The works of the city’s famous sculptor, Ivan Duknović, are also on show here. 

Town gates

Arriving from the mainland, first you reach the late Renaissance North Gate by crossing a small stone bridge. This was the northern entrance to the medieval Trogir. The gate is guarded by the statue of the town’s patron saint, St. John of Trogir. Not far from here, Gradska ulica leads to the Trg Ivana Pavla II. square named after Pope John Paul II.

The South Gate (Porta civitatis) is situated at the port. Beside the gate the low, arcade building from the Middle Ages served those who arrived to Trogir after the closing of the town gates. They could spend the night here.

St. Lawrence's cathedral

Trg Ivana Pavla II.

The building works of Trogir's iconic cathedral started in 1123 and lasted until the 16th century. As the construction took so long, the cathedral is a mixture of Roman, Gothic and Renaissance styles. The richly decorated main gate is kept by Venetian lions and it represents a biblical scene with the snake, Adam and Eve.

The 47 m high bell tower was also built for more than 100 years. From its top there is a magnificent view of the town (open from 15 Jun-15 Sep, 9.00-12.00 and 16.00-19.00, ticket: 5 Kn).

The treasury can be found in the sacristy (admission charge: 10 Kn).

The buildings of Trg Ivana Pavla II.

The beautiful 15th-century Cipiko Palace stands opposite to the cathedral. Walk through its gate to see the carved wooden cockerel which once served as a prow of a Turkish ship. The ship was sunk in a battle in which a member of the Cipiko family took part.

The clock tower was originally part of a church. The statue of a saint under the clock is the work of a Venetian master, Niccolo Fiorentino. His relief can be seen under the neighbouring town loggia, as well. (The other relief of Tomislav king was made by Ivan Meštrović.) 

The Renaissance Town Hall was built in 1527. The table on its wall declares that the old town of Trogir has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage since 1997. In the courtyard medieval coat of arms, finely decorated windows and a richly ornamented staircase conceal.

The street between the Town Hall and the Clock Tower leads to the Church of St. John the Baptist. Unfortunately, the church is usually closed, ask about the opening times in the tourist office.

Benedictine monastery

Gradska 2.
Opening times: 15 June – 15 September: daily, 8.00 – 13.00 and 15.00 – 19.00  

Admission charge: 10 Kn (children 5 Kn)

The monastery keeps a relief of the Greek god of Kairos from the 1st century BC. It was discovered in an abandoned house in 1928. A Greek inscription from the 3rd-4th century BC is also exhibited here.

Fortress Karmelengo

Opening times: 15 Jun-15 Sep daily, 9.00 – 20.00

Admission charge: 10 Kn (children 5 Kn)

Situated at the west end of the island, the fortress was built by the Venetians. It was reconstructed between 1420–37 by the architect Mavin Radoj. The name ’Karmelengo’ derives from the word camerarius (treasurer) referring to those treasures which which were kept here in the Middle Ages. In the summer the fortress is the venue of an open air cinema and theatre.

On the north-west side of the island the 15th-century St. Mark’s tower can be seen.


Click for Trogir, Croatia Forecast

Search Hotels in Croatia

Check-in date


Check-out date

Click for Trogir, Croatia Forecast